Dance ICONS is a global network for choreographers of all levels of experience, nationalities, and genres. We offer a cloud-based platform for knowledge exchange, collaboration, inspiration, and debate. Dance ICONS is based in Washington, D.C., and serves choreographers the world over.
Subscribe today to receive our news and updates. Become a member of your global artistic community -- join the ICONS!
IS ALL CHOREOGRAPHY ART?
- Sure. The act of creating motion with artistic intention makes ANY choreography an art.
- Not always. Coordinating aircrafts taking off on the airport runway is in certain way a choreography, but not necessary art. Being an air traffic controller is just a job.
- Yes, it is the act and the art of sequencing. However, if it is a “good art” – that is subjective.
- No really. Art is in depth statement addressing the human condition. Putting moves together does not make all choreography art.
- Well, there is an intention to plan movement, but if that is all artful expression I am not sure...
- There is a difference between “choreographic phrase” which is mostly art, and “movement combination” which is not always art.
- Definitely yes, however not a FINE ART in all occasions...
- It depends on how you are choosing to define "Art". I do not believe that all works presented as choreography should be considered "Dance Art", some are "Performance Art"; while dance is movement, not all movement is dance.